One of the items I’ve been considering this week for Star Trek Adventures is the lowly runabout. Introduced in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the runabout is large for a small personnel-carrier but its adaptability make it a real asset to a ship. Here are some more options for even more adaptability!
Already in the Star Trek Adventures rulebook, the Danube-class runabout has four modules: Passenger Transport, Cargo Transport, Long Duration Mission, and Weapons. These are all detailed on page 235 of the Star Trek Adventures book but
- Medical: The runabout has proper medical facilities to treat up to four patients at a time. The supplies here can provide an equipment Trait for medical procedures.
- Scientific: The aft section of the runabout is equipped as a science lab with analysis equipment and containment units for samples. It provides an equipment Trait on laboratory Tasks and scientific equipment can be gained from it at one less Escalation than normal. The lab itself has a Cost: Escalation 1 (see p. 184 of Star Trek Adventures).
- Tactical Station: Extra space is made for a dedicated security station, something normally only seen on capital ships. The officer at the tactical systems station (who can also control sensors, security, and navigation, according to Chapter 9.04 of Star Trek Adventures) can make use of an equipment Trait called Tactical Analysis. This has a Cost: Escalation 1 (see p. 184 of Star Trek Adventures).
Runabouts can also have pods which are external equipment on a “roll-bar” mounted to the top of the vessel. As seen in the image above, this changes the profile of the runabout but adds considerable ability to the craft. As with modules, a runabout can only have one pods installed at a time.
- Communications: When an officer uses the Hailing Frequencies Open, Respond to Hail, or Intercept Tasks (see p. 224 of Star Trek Adventures) they can re-roll one d20.
- Electronic Countermeasures (ECM): When an officer uses the Signals Jamming Task (see p. 224 of Star Trek Adventures) they can re-roll one d20.
- Sensors: The sensor system on the runabout is greatly increased, adding +2 to the ship’s Sensors System rating. This has a Cost: Escalation 1 (see p. 184 of Star Trek Adventures).
- Tactical: The ship’s weapon targeting systems are enhanced, adding +2 to the ship’s Weapons System rating. This has a Cost: Escalation 2 (see p. 184 of Star Trek Adventures).
- Transporter Booster: The runabout has increased confinement field abilities with its transporters. The Difficulty of the Transporters Task (see p. 224 of Star Trek Adventures) is reduced by one.